Monday, October 25, 2010

white rabbit

The clock dutifully clicked its way toward one o'clock as I helplessly sat in the informal meeting/conversation at WorkChurch. The matters discussed were important and my job is priority. Yet, I couldn't keep my mind from thinking that I would never reach rehearsal by the 1:30 start time.

I love my job. It's so refreshing to earn a living through something I genuinely love- teaching kids about Jesus (and the fun activities that help that happen!). I also love the theater, and the years have taught me to treat rehearsals with professionalism. Masquer may be a ministry, but that does not mean that standards and discipline are more relaxed. In fact, the opposite is true! When we are working to please God instead of man, shouldn't our efforts be increased? How often do we allow the great gospel message to compensate for our lack of quality workmanship?

As I tried to balance efficient driving with not speeding (ok, not speeding too drastically), I reviewed the music and lines for the show. If I must be late, I would at least be ready to jump right in as soon as I left my car in the parking lot.

That key word is "balance". We all struggle with balance in some way, don't we? Family and job, work and play, junk food and nutrition, friends and school...... What is it about us that naturally leans to extremes? Why can't it be easier to know just how much time and energy should be applied to the many branches of our lives?

There are only two places in life where I am able to focus on the "here and now". When I am snorkeling and free-diving under the gentle Pacific waves, it is calm and quiet. Not a thought of homework or worry exists- my mind is clear and focused. The same is true of the stage. My usual short and scattered attention span is tamed, disciplined, and consumed by the work of rehearsal.

I refuse to jump into "motivational speaker mode" and suggest solutions to our collective habit of imbalance. I don't have the answers and it's silly to think that a single method would work for all people. Object lessons that I show the church kids- like trying to fit rocks and golf balls and sand and water into a jar- only colorfully state the obvious. It's not helpful.

My art of juggling work, school, theater, and more will continue. It will morph and change and adapt over the years, but I know better than to think it will ever stop in this lifetime. I'm thankful to have a Master Planner one step ahead of me.... heaven knows I couldn't do it without Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment