Friday, October 15, 2010

seasons

I'm not as close to God as I'd like to be.

Our relationship is healthy, I would say. I pray, He loves, I worship, He talks, I listen. My occupation is children's ministry. By all counts, things are good. But it's just not the same as it has been in the past.

I suppose it makes sense, as life moves in seasons. Of course, sometimes we're gonna be rockin' the Jesus stuff, and other times, maybe a little less. From a human stance, this is reasonable. But is it correct? Is this pleasing and acceptable to God?

We know that God is concerned with the matters of the heart. He doesn't compare us to other people, and there's not some divine scale of merit by which He judges. I may not be volunteering for service projects as much as in the past, and some of my study and church habits have changed, but I still love the Lord with as much passion as before.

This morning, in the car, I listened to the music from a past Masquer production, Risen (Act II, anyway. I can't seem to find Act I for the life of me....). It's amazing how powerful music can be. It has the ability to take us back to places and times we bury in our memories. Perhaps those moments have etched themselves on our hearts, and merely need to be uncovered. On the freeway, under a cloudy sky, I rediscovered that intimate worship I've been missing for the past few months. What a gift!

Risen was a powerful show. Few productions contain such intensity, and for good reason. Wouldn't that minimize the preciousness if such things became commonplace and everyday? I don't know what to expect from Journey to the Manger. I'm sure it will be moving, and I selfishly hope that, during the process, my soul is moved as well. I wonder if we have to wait until heaven before we constantly live in intense closeness with our Heavenly Father. Are the varying seasons of closeness one of the side effects to living on earth, or is it possible to experience the incredible effects of experiences like Risen all the time?

1 comment:

  1. wanna hear something amazing?! a group of us went to see scary poppins, and went to bubba gumps after, where I had a conversation with Ian. we were talking about the intensity of Risen and how the music was such a blessing and our conversation sounded very similar to this post! just thought I'd share!!!

    ReplyDelete