Saturday, November 27, 2010

anticipation

I just finished writing material for my job at church. The topic was preparing for Christmas, as we enter the season of advent.

Before I go to bed tonight, I will make sure I have everything ready for tomorrow's "Journey" rehearsal. At some point this weekend, I realized that we open in less than a week. Our time of preparation is ending, and the run of the show will be begin. And, like Christmas, it will be over in the blink of an eye.

I don't know about anyone else, but I usually take advent as the "sprint to Christmas". It's all focused on running toward December 25th. Gifts are prepared with the deadline in mind. The house is decorated and treats are made to be ready for that day. My mind is set on Christmas Day and every ounce of me counts down to that moment.

Once I wake up that day, I helplessly try to hold on to every moment. No matter what I do, time is racing until it's suddenly time to close my eyes and sleep. When I wake again, the biggest holiday of the year is gone and the countdown resets.

Interestingly enough, I don't feel the same way about theater- Christmas show or otherwise. Perhaps that's because it occurs more than once a year. Regardless, the production is more than just performances. Rehearsals, learning, memorization, work days.... it all adds up to weeks of preparation that are just as much a part of the show as the performances themselves. I savor and enjoy the entire process instead of merely counting down days until opening night.

Should advent be the same way? Why rush through December when we could marinate in the season of preparation? Relish the gift-making, appreciate the decorations, enjoy the season that is more than just a holi-day.

1 comment: