Friday, December 3, 2010

wide open

I opened my eyes as the sun filtered in through my window blinds. "Opening Night!" was the first coherent thought to surface (ok, semi-coherent). My life has held many opening nights, but something about that phrase makes the day seem a little special.

Almost.

After the rest of my thoughts reached some state of coherency, the day began:
-coordinate schedules with my roommate, Kelly (who is the assistant director for "Journey")
-organize and pack everything I will need for work and the show, since I will not be home until late tonight (who am I kidding? early this morning is more accurate)
-walk down the street to the farmers' market for a few healthy groceries
-double check every detail... make-up, costume pieces, something for my secret prayer partner, laptop, notebooks, cell phone, keys....... (oh, shoot! I just realized that I forgot to pack Miracle, my special teddy bear that always attends opening night)

While focused on executing the details, today became like any other. Kelly corrected me every time I mentioned going to rehearsal tonight.
"You mean the show. We're performing."
"Oh, yeah. That's what I meant. [insert whatever was really concerning me]"

Between now and this evening, I will regain the adrenaline and excitement of opening night. I hope it's a proper amount of enthusiasm. It's not as if I am not looking forward to this weekend's performances (I am) or thrilled to be presenting our story to an audience (I am). I've just somehow dulled the specialness with my attitude and overload of the everything-else. It happens at Christmas. It happens at church. It can happen in so many areas of life. We have misplaced the sacred things and made them commonplace. Is it possible to reclaim the magic of Christmas we experienced in childhood? How do we balance a close relationship with a friendly God and a respectful fear of the same Almighty Creator?

I'll start with opening night. At least, as soon as I get off work. And pick up Kelly. And drive through traffic. Somewhere in the midst of the daily chaos lies a tiny piece of the sacred. And you will find some of the sacred tonight, at the Candlewood Theater. I hope you'll come and share it with me.

1 comment: