Tuesday, February 8, 2011

the same, yet different

I've never done the same show twice. Once the curtain closes on the final night, I say my good-byes to the production and prepare for whatever is next.

A year ago, we began the premiere of the original show, "Risen". As we entered the emotional journey of Christ's followers, I was in the midst of my own emotional journey. I returned to school after five years in the professional world. My position at work had changed and I was seeking a more suitable and permanent job. I was also preparing to move in order to accommodate all these changes.

Learning new songs, new blocking, and a new point of view to a familiar story was intense at times. I welcomed this creative outlet in light of my life's insanity. Working on "Risen" was a tangible way for me to draw close to my Heavenly Father in a tumultuous time.

A year later, we revisit "Risen" with mostly the same cast- yet how many of us are such different people than we were twelve months ago? This girl joins the stage in 2011 after spending a year truly walking in faith as life proves uncertain and ever-changing. The cast of characters in my my personal circle has changed with my new job and new neighborhood- though these things are no longer new, but part of the daily routine. I've had to rely on God's provision like never before, from finances to relationships. Like the disciples in the show's boat scene, I cry out that I need Him EVERY HOUR- every minute, even- merely to exist. Last year, through my character, I was reintroduced to Jesus with fresh eyes. Perhaps this year, I'll be reenacting a love story with my Savior.

Logistically, the rehearsal process will consist of remembering familiar music and blocking, tweaking imperfections, and making changes to adapt to additional members of the ensemble. It's funny how much the work onstage resembles the day-to-day offstage. Though the show is the same, I'm different. We're different. And, upon closer examination, it's anything BUT the same production.

Meanwhile, we are also working on a new original Masquer production, based on the book of Job. A few of us are writing the script and composing music in anticipation of opening the show in the fall. As this project coincides with current rehearsals, I'll be tying in bits and pieces of God's work in that area as well. Already, as I deal with the effects of a dramatic car accident and other life challenges in the past week, I've had a hands-on lesson on some of Job's frustration. And, like Job, I still bless the Lord- despite and because of any difficult circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment