Tuesday, February 15, 2011

emotional


I have a lot of distractions calling my name at the moment. Most of them are good, responsible, necessary kind of things. But I wanted to get my thoughts on paper (um, computer monitor) before I lost the few I have about "Risen" this week.

Yeah, I said just a "few". That's it. No brilliant realizations, epiphanies, or life lessons. No questions stirred, pondered, or contemplated.

- I feel very compelled to pray for unity among the cast, crew, and extending beyond to our host church and families. Few things can halt a Masquer production. We take the stage in spite of personal problems or looming obstacles. In sickness or in health, we perform. But division can do a little damage in a theater company, especially one as tightly knit as this. Before questions or rumors begin, please do not read too much into this paragraph. It is merely one of a few things on my mind, my own personal concern. So by all means, pray for unity- but do not worry for a minute that there's anything between these lines.

- Work day was brief for me on Saturday, due to a prior commitment. It was also a superb example of teamwork. Many hands made fairly light work of moving a sixteen-foot-high climbable lattice from point "a" to point "b". Yes, it was a journey of less than twelve inches, but this thing is ginormous (as you will see WHEN you come to "Risen" ;) ). Here's a picture from last year to give you an idea.
Of course, you'll have to imagine it with out the finished rock, because that's only a wooden frame at the moment. And you can't see the full scale... but you get the idea. Big structure, success by teamwork. It's the only way to go.

- During Sunday's rehearsal, we blocked a few scenes, including the finale. This last song, when Jesus ascends to heaven, was previously one of the hardest-hitting for me. My character has already come to terms with losing her beloved savior and friend, and then the shock, wonder, and amazement at His return. Now, He was leaving again- though this time under much happier circumstances and with a promise to be around always. Can you imagine how trippy this must've been for the disciples? In the past months, they'd been through some crazy stuff. With no past experience to base this one, they had only faith to cling to as they attempted to process all the events- events that included the death of Someone they fully expected to live and conquer. Of course, from our big-picture vantage point, we know that's exactly what Jesus did, but in the midst of the day-by-day it couldn't have been so easy to accept.
So that's how I felt last year.... after thinking you've forever lost the person most dear to your heart, then swooping from devastation to joy in His miraculous return, only to say good-bye again, that's a lot of emotion to carry in one's heart. Throw in the peace that passes all understanding as you stand under a cloud of glory with instructions to go spread the word- yeah... you get the idea. But so far in this rehearsal process, that hasn't set in yet. i'm sure it's the familiarity combined with the mechanics of blocking. But I still want that connection and don't want it to take too long to "click". Besides my own selfish reasons, I want to perform well and convincingly. In addition to simply wanting to be professional and give my best work, this is also an offering of talent back to the One who blessed me with it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment