Thursday, July 7, 2011

musings from a resting time

I didn’t attend rehearsal on Sunday. It felt strange to know everyone was hard at work as usual, but I wasn’t involved. However, my role in Job is behind the scenes, as a writer on standby to make any necessary script adjustments as well as participate in work days at the theatre. But this means there are no lines for me to memorize, no blocking to learn, and no reason to juggle Sundays working at a church with a drive to Anaheim in time for a few hours of rehearsing. This is a healthy  situation, but it still feels odd as I break from the routine of past shows.

One observation crossed my mind today. While I am not “religiously superstitious”, the process of writing the Job script has clearly been a challenging time in all areas of my life. I’ve been hit with struggles of all types- financial, emotional, situational, and even in some relationships. Yet now, when the script is written and in the hands of actors, things have been going pretty smoothly. Most of the challenges have been resolved, and there are blessings on top of that. One might assume this is coincidental, except if follows the story of Job too well. After Job went through tragedy, trials, and troubles, God restored everything he lost, then added more. Similarly, I’m experiencing that kind of blessings and bonuses in many areas of my life. Sure, there are battle wounds and scars that run deep. I am not exactly the same girl who sat down with a Bible and note cards to begin adapting scripture for the stage. And I imagine Job emerged from the refining fire of spiritual warfare feeling weary from the fight yet revived with a “second wind”. His perspective was probably forever changed by his experience. And if he’s anything like me, the motives in his heart of worship were driven by a deeper love for the Almighty who laid the foundations of the very earth on which he stood.

No comments:

Post a Comment