Friday, June 24, 2011

closure

“Risen” seems ages in the past, yet it closed only two months ago. Not long after my previous entry, personal life events took a different turn. I found myself at rock bottom, spending the evenings of the last few shows in the hospital, instead of on the stage. There was no “closing night” for me, no good-bye to the show, and no set strike to seal the deal. It broke my heart to miss “Risen”, and I had no closure since I couldn’t bid it a proper farewell.

Yes, God was there with me just as He was in the theatre. His love was hand-delivered by my friend-family every single day. And I still carry moments of “Risen” with me. Just today, I read a Bible study, and it talked about the women who discovered Jesus had vacated the tomb. The study called for the reader to imagine how they would feel if they were walking in those women’s sandals. And I knew, because I walked that- and felt that- on stage 2,000+ years after that first Easter Sunday morning.

I carry “Risen” with me whenever I hear the songs we sang each night. They are more than just words and melody, they are pieces of my soul that are forever ingrained on my heart. Love for my Jesus, awestruck wonder at His story, and even the preciousness of the cast and crew lie safely in between the music and lyrics.

And I carry “Risen” as we work on the next show. Without the hope of the Redeemer, this production of “Job” would be far too heavy, hopeless, and even senseless. We’ve been working on the script for this original production for over six months. Right now, the first official draft is complete. There will undoubtedly be rewrites between the first rehearsal and opening night, but we’ve reached a pretty big milestone.

Two weeks ago, we held auditions. For the first time, the characters jumped off the page and became real. God revealed our cast, and so the show begins to take form. We’ll have the table-read on Sunday- the first rehearsal where the entire cast reads through the entire script. Part of me is a little excited-yet-nervous, but these really aren’t my words. Yes, my fingers typed the script, but the story is God’s, the plot was His idea, and I really did more “adapting” then writing. And even that was guided by our director, Ian. Yet, I am honored to be a part of the process, and joyously anticipate seeing the show come to life.

“Job” is often the poster child for suffering. Christians often direct people to this part of the Bible when they have no answers for bad-things-happening-to-good-people. As the production team worked during the past six months, we have definitely hit opposition from an enemy that does not want the story to be told. I don’t know if that will continue or reach out to the rest of the cast and crew. Religious superstition isn’t my thing, but I have seen- and been affected by- how much of a punk Satan can be. We won’t give up, and God is a zillion times bigger than any old devil. However, the prayer support from you and others is so precious as we portray and experience spiritual warfare. Now that we are in production, please consider remembering us to our Heavenly Father and ultimate Director. Feel free to bookmark this blog or connect with Masquer on Facebook. Maybe share this with other prayer warriors you know. And if you think about it, please let us know that you’re praying? Such encouragement strengthens us through the obstacles and challenges. God’s hand is necessary for this show to even exist.

So we begin the story of “Job” as a company. If the past few months of pre-production are any indication, it’s going to be a wild ride. But this wild ride will definitely be used to reveal God’s glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment